Friday, June 4, 2010

walk/run & light workout

Today I tested the pedometer's readings by walking then running a one mile circuit figured out with Google's awesome Gmaps Pedometer. The walking mile took about 16 minutes and the pedometer reading at the end was .99 miles, so pretty accurate there. The running mile took about 11 minutes (I'm pretending it was 10 and some change, but I couldn't tell because of the imprecise timekeeping device I was using. Yeah, that's the ticket.) and the pedometer reading was .90 miles. So, when I run, my stride's longer, but the pedometer can't tell. Good to know.
After the walk/run and a quick walk around the block to cool down, I came inside and put on a free exercise DVD I got with my medicine ball. Being free, it was a little glitchy, but I did enough to use those muscles I exercised so much yesterday. I could also tell that if you are planning to do aerobics with a medicine ball, an eight pounder is tough to manage on some of the quicker moves. My plan is to learn some of the more interesting moves and then put together a lower impact workout that I can use the day after a high impact workout. All in all, a good day's work, I think.

(Addendum: Also had an unfortunate "workout" pushing my bike back up the hill after failing to start it on the way down.  20 minutes or so of pushing 300-400 lbs up an incline.)

Steps: 10,725
Aerobic Steps: 8,403
Activity: walk/run, m. ball workout, pushing motorcycle uphill

3 comments:

  1. What kind of pedometer? I am thinking that I need to invest in 1, and don't want to waste $$$!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an Omeron Pocket Pedometer. It's small, inexpensive, and reliable. There's some software that goes with it, but the previous model doesn't have that. It's perfect if you usually wear clothes with pockets. If you don't have pockets, you need to use the clip, which isn't as secure and makes the pedometer a little obtrusive, but despite that, I still like it a lot. It's not too complicated either. Note: DO use the included leash. I didn't and lost my previous one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read in my stack of Shape/Women's Health magazines that accumulated and now I'm re-going through, that it takes 5 weeks to start a new "habit" -- so good luck and know that by the time you've logged in just over a month of regular exercising, you should be happily in the habit of it! *HUG*

    ReplyDelete